Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Rumors of Pudge Joining the Astros


According to reports this past Sunday, Pudge Rodriguez narrowed his choices of teams he is interested in playing for down to three with the Astros being on that short list. I am not going to try and sit here and over analyze the situation but I think it needs to be addressed.
When I heard about these rumors, my first reaction was "I do not want him in an Astros uniform. Thats just what we need is another old guy setting up behind the dish that is clearly on the down side of his career." Well now that I have had the time to regain my thoughts on the situation, I think that it might be a good move for the Astros. Lets crunch the numbers...
Rodriguez last season hit .276/.319/.394 with seven homers and 35 RBI's in 115 games with Detroit and the Yankees combined...
The catcher that Houston will most likely be trotting out to the diamond will be J.R. Towles who looked abysmal in '08 batting .137 in 146 at bats. Now I know that youth is on the side of the Crosby native but it might be nice to have a guy that you know can put the ball in play and produce runs at the bottom of the lineup.
Pudge has also been known to be a clubhouse distraction and that doesn't fit the mold of Drayton McLane, but if we can get him for a cheap rate for a year or two until catching prospect Jason Castro works out (cross your fingers) i don't see it as that bad of an idea.
Leave your mark! Get the comments rolling
JB

No comments: